Under the supervision of the Principal, the School Programs Dean will oversee school-level implementation of all-staff development in restorative practices and mindsets, implement a school-wide socioemotional learning curriculum and oversee wraparound services for students & families. The SPD will act as member of the School Leadership Team and is responsible for the development and execution of a robust plan to align instructional practices and school programs to a whole child approach that builds a strong foundation for student achievement. The School Leadership Team is made up of the Teaching & Learning, Programs and Operations teams. The SPD is responsible for leading the Programs Team to support the schools holistic approach to teaching & learning, oversee school-wide alignment to restorative justice practices, provide students & families access to wraparound services and programs, manage an approach to Tier 3 student behavior, track student behavior data in alignment with restorative practices, and implement a robust socioemotional learning curriculum.
Strategy and Vision Setting
- Contribute expertise on socioemotional learning, restorative justice and wraparound services to inform the overall vision and strategy of the Principal, Programs Team, Teaching & Learning Team, and School Leadership Team.
- Collaborate in the development of structures and processes to support the schools holistic approach to teaching & learning.
- Support the development of a strategic plan for the integration of academics and socioemotional learning as implemented by the School Leadership Team.
- Analyze school-wide "culture metrics" around attendance, behavior, student agency, community engagement.
- Lead regular Programs Team meetings with both logistics and development time.
Team Leadership and Talent Development
- Under the direction of Principal, oversee, develop and evaluate direct reports for the school-based Programs Team including but not limited to: School Social Worker/Counselor, Family Engagement Coordinator, Program Assistant, Lead Campus Aide.
- Provide ongoing coaching to and developing of direct reports on Programs Team including annual goal setting processes, period step backs and retreats, and consistent coaching meetings.
- Develop and train campus aides as Campus First Responders Team.
- Participate in recruiting, selecting and hiring high-quality staff.
- Share out weekly culture data at ILT meetings and create plans for follow-up with students, teachers and coaches.
- Conduct regular school culture walkthroughs and observations
- Partner with Assistant Principals and Principals to coach on strategies and intervention for student behavior.
- Lead regular Programs Team meetings with ample time for team development as well as logistics.
- Set ambitious personal and professional goals and model relentless effort toward these goals.
Administrative Management and School Compliance
- Collaborate with Principal to ensure the expenditures for Operations Team are in line with budget and priorities.
- Create robust data tracking system for student incidents, referrals and behavior that is accessible by all staff.
- Prepare and present regular status reports related to school site restorative practices systems for School Leadership Team meetings and CNCA-wide meetings as needed.
- In collaboration with Principal and HSO, create clear approach for restorative practices and student discipline at all levels of school and train staff in process.
- Ensure clear system for documentation of student incidents.
- Attend suspension hearings.
- Own SART and SARB process with support from Registrar
- Other duties as assigned.
- Own school-wide implementation of socioemotional learning curriculum.
- Co-develop year-long professional development plans with Principal and Assistant Principal(s) on: Danielson Domains 2 & 3, SEL needs of students, approach to restorative practices and positive behavioral supports.
- Support Assistant Principals in coaching on classroom management in alignment with Whole Child vision.
- Respond to trends in school-wide data that support strengths and address challenges.
- Create systems for and tracking student behavior data in alignment with restorative justice practices.
- Lead small group SEL with students.
- Co-plan and lead school-wide community meetings, recognition, and celebration events to foster positive school culture.
- Support the use of harm and restorative circles across the school.
- Work directly with students who exhibit more significant behavioral challenges, creating individualized plans and partnering with teachers, families, and community resources to provide additional supports and effective interventions.
- Embrace the responsibility of ensuring that students from our low-income, primarily immigrant, linguistically diverse community can succeed.
Programs & Community Partnerships
- Manage community partnerships and assign experiential learning opportunities to teacher leaders and coaches.
- Design and facilitate family workshops on expectations for students in SEL curriculum, restorative practices.