Camino Nuevo Charter Academy
Part-Time Office Assistant
Camino Nuevo Charter Academy (CNCA) is a community of high-performing public schools that utilizes a comprehensive approach to prepare students from preschool through high school for success in college and in life. We integrate academic rigor, community, family, and wellness to empower students to thrive in a culturally connected and changing world. Founded in 2000, Camino Nuevo Charter Academy students represent the neighborhood of MacArthur Park west of downtown Los Angeles, a community that is one of the most under-resourced and densely populated neighborhoods in Los Angeles. Currently, CNCA has eight campuses that serve over 3,500 students from pre-K through 12th grade.
We believe that every individual who works at Camino Nuevo Charter Academy must embody key mindsets.
• Commitment to and belief in CNCA’s mission and vision
• Belief in and embodiment of the CNCA Anchors in all aspects of the work
• Commitment to the vision of a progressive, socially-just education and is able to inspire others towards that vision
• Solution orientation and belief in supporting others to be the same
• Commitment to an asset-based, capacity-building approach
• Commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
• Strong self-awareness and ability to reflect
• Ability to take ownership in the day-to-day and overall success of the organization
• EXCELLENCE: We take responsibility for our students and staff achieving consistently outstanding results.
• EQUITY: We recognize and value the individuality and experiences of all students and respond to their unique academic, emotional, psychological, and social needs.
• COMMUNITY: We are rooted in our community's richness and in the cultural and environmental context where our students and families live.
• INNOVATION: We continuously learn, are curious, and implement new ideas, perspectives, and evidence-based methods in our work.
• JOY: We build and maintain positive relationships that foster happiness and fulfillment among students, staff and families.
Under the supervision of the School Operations Manager, the Office Assistant will fulfill campus office and operations requests and support front office customer service for students, parents, staff and visitors to the school. The Office Assistant will act as member of the School Operations Team and is responsible for supporting general operations functions for the school and high quality customer service in the front office.
• Support Receptionist with front office “customer service” approach to welcoming all stakeholders including staff, families, students and visitors to the school in all in-person, telephone and email communications.
• Serve as primary back up for Receptionist and school office support.
• Serve as “floater” support for campus office & operations requests, when not supporting front office during peak hours.
• Support day-to-day operations of the Main Office.
• Assist with school classroom and technology supply inventory and filling supply requests.
• Attend to student and parent needs and use systems to document services offered.
• Route calls promptly to the proper staff person or voicemail, taking messages when necessary.
• Attend to sick and injured students, administer medication and aid, ensure all medical incidents are properly documented in accordance with established CNCA policy.
• Provide administrative support to the School Operations Manager and Receptionist.
• Attend weekly Operations meetings.
• Assist in the implementation of systems for continuous improvement of school operations.
• In collaboration with School Operations Manager, support with the school-wide campus safety plan and emergency preparedness.
• Provide translation as needed.
• Supervise students waiting in front office and assist in conflict resolution as necessary.
• Support Receptionist in contacting teachers/parents by phone to verify absences and early dismissals.
• Assist with the maintenance of student medical, student early dismissal, visitor and parent volunteer logs.
• Maintain a neat, welcoming & organized office environment.
• Accept mail and deliveries and route to appropriate recipient.
• Elevate challenges that arise within office operations and work with School Operations Manager and Receptionist to inform and improve work.
• Embody a “team” approach to proactively problem-solving challenges that arise in a school setting.
• Model respectful, professional relationships and promote collegial school climate.
• Contribute to positive school culture by developing strong relationships with CNCA students, families and staff.
• Create a welcoming school environment for all visitors, students, families and staff.
• Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Attend and actively participate in school site meetings and special events.
• Build relationships with the community and motivate families to engage with and/or join CNCA.
• Embrace the responsibility of ensuring that students from our low-income, primarily immigrant, linguistically diverse community can succeed.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Associate Degree or two years of higher education coursework preferred
• 1-2 years experience working in urban schools or in organizational operations
• Spanish and English fluency required
• Ability to work independently and with a team in a fast-paced environment required
• Prior experience working with students in an academic or recreational setting preferred
• Knowledge of online data systems preferred. Our data systems include: PowerSchool, SpendBridge, DataDirector, Illuminate, Welligent, Excel and mail merge.
• Excellent organizational, planning and implementation skills
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Positive energy and the ability to be a strong role model for students
Supervisor: School Operations Manager
Position: Hourly, 29 hours
Work Period: 12 months